10/20/2014

When being single is not so cool anymore

Until 25 you are safe.
You are young, most likely a student and “that” gives you a right to enjoy life, travel and try new things.

28 is also still ok.
They look at you as a young independent women engaging herself in many different areas.

But then...
your traveling and other excesses start losing its magic. Your freedom is not so cool anymore. For your birthday besides health, people wish you happiness that consists of finding 'the One'. And comments like “I don't understand how such a nice girl like you is still alone”, occur more frequently.

Life happens. Friends are getting married, giving birth to children.
And in the midst of these changes I try to find my place. 
Not that I don't know who I am but it affects me as well.

I am single. That's a fact.
I would like to get married. That's a fact too. I don't consider it to be something special. The psychology itself acknowledges it as a natural desire in a specific age – you are not here only to receive but you want to give, create and share (of course not only when it comes to starting a new family!).

So?

Here are some things I do:
  1. First of all I admit that I have such a desire.
  1. I enjoy a special position in lives of my nieces and nephew. The reality of me not running after my own kids makes me a cool auntie who is fully there for them. I am aware of this special period and I want to make the best of it.
  1. I don't drive nails or drill into walls. I believe I could, I just don't want to. Not knowing how to do certain things reminds me that I need a man's help and that it is ok to ask for it. Therefore shelves on my wall were mounted by my father.
  1. Everytime I see a changed FB status of people I know (...is in relationship/...got engaged..../...got married), I rejoice in it. It is great and I wish them all the best!

  2. I go to God. I share my heart with him on a good day and especially when the bad one arrives and I have tendency to pity myself. As a matter of fact He alone created me and knows me better than I know myself. No one (so not even a spouse) can live in such way that they wouldn't hurt their beloved ones no matter how hard they try. Therefore I am fully aware that the whole 'prince on a white horse' idea must be put into context of reality.

Married women often tell us, the single ones, how much time we have and that we don't know how lucky we are. I am sure they are right to some extent. On the other hand they also don't know how it feels like to be older and still single. Everything has its pros and cons. Always.
I've read about our tendency to complain over things we already cannot do, instead of being thankful for what we can do in that very season of our lives.

It is a challenge to be content!
That would be my sixth point. I want to start mornings with giving thanks for my status of being single and ask if or how I can make the world more beautiful today.

And after all, we shouldn't be so serious about our statuses, both of them are just temporary. We cannot take them to eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment